We’re available to help with all your water related questions. Here is a list of the most popular questions we have received to date. If you don’t find the information you are looking for, please feel free to contact us at (607) 832-5432.

If a tree or something else falls into a river or stream on my property, what should I do? Who is responsible to take care of it?

As a property owner, it is typically your responsibility to remove a fallen tree. However, you have to make sure you do not disturb the river or stream bed. Please call your local town’s clerk office to find out how to handle any situation and ask if there are any resources in that town available.

How can I contact the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation?

The Stamford Permitting Office - (607) 652-7741 The Stamford Fisheries Office – (607) 652-7366 Forest Ranger – (607) 652-5063 The Stamford Lands and Forestry Office – (607) 652-7365 The Stamford Wildlife Office – (607) 652-7367

The stream crossing my property is eroding the banks. Is there an agency that can give me assistance?

Yes. The Delaware County Soil and Water Conservation District, located at 44 West Street in Walton, NY will provide expertise for protecting stream banks and flood plains. They can be reached at (607) 865-7161.

Where can I get my water tested?

City of Oneonta has a water testing facility – (607) 433-3470.   Eastern Lab Service is located in Binghamton, NY – (607) 334-2877

What are the steps I need to do to replace my system?

New York State requires systems to be designed and installation witnessed by a licensed engineer. All systems must further be approved by the NYCDEP. They will guide you through the process and can be reached at (607) 363-7000.

My septic system is failing or about to fail on my home that existed prior to the signing of the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) in 1996. Are there funds to help me reimburse the system replacement and if so how do I contact them?

Yes. Because the Delaware County Board of Supervisors are signatories of the MOA, septic systems that existed prior to 1996 are eligible for replacement or repair. With certain conditions, the Catskill Watershed Corporation will provide funds from the Septic Replacement and Rehabilitation Program to mitigate a septic failure. Call (845) 586-1400 for details.

Is my property located in the New York City watershed?

Using the Delaware County COMIT website, one can identify if your parcel is in the NYC watershed. To access this site go to www.giswebhost.org/delaware. At this window, click on “Search”, enter parcel number, name, or town. This will open up a map of the parcel and identifies the watershed districts. Any questions, call 607-832-5444.

Is the Watershed Affairs Department a city or state regulatory agency?
Neither. This department was formed in 1999 by a resolution of the Delaware County Board of Supervisors to administer the Delaware County Action Plan (DCAP), a comprehensive management program for water quality. The department has no regulatory authority. The mission of the department is to assist Delaware County residents, farmers, businesses, and communities in meeting water quality restrictions and objectives without loss of economic vitality.