In partnership with a variety of not-for-profit organizations, agencies, and towns, Watershed Affairs is committed to working to protect, manage, and restore Delaware County’s waterways. As a collective, we are working to develop a Stream Corridor Management Plan for the Upper Delaware River Tailwaters below the Cannonsville and Pepacton Reservoirs. This plan will serve as a blueprint for the future of these critically important water resources.
The Upper Delaware River Tailwaters Coalition is a collaborative group of municipal officials and not-for-profits working together toward common goals. The mission of this group is to develop and implement science-based initiatives and policies that will enhance the local economy, the cold water fishery and recreational opportunities while mitigating flooding in the Upper Delaware River Tailwaters.
The UDRTC shall have the following goals and objectives:
- Expand Coalition membership to include neighboring municipalities, NGOs and other interested entities along the Tailwaters, including those in the state of Pennsylvania, in support of the Coalition’s mission.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive stream corridor management plan that addresses flood mitigation, sediment transport and enhancement of the cold water fishery for the benefit of riparian communities.
- Work in concert with the Upper Delaware River Tailwaters and Tributaries Communities’ Task Force (the “Task Force”).
- Form an Advisory Group involving State, Federal and regional agencies and non-governmental organizations that can provide strategic guidance to the UDRTC in pursuit of its mission.
- Increase water releases to the maximum extent possible to balance reservoir management objectives for flood related issues that affect downstream communities.
- Adopt a thermal release protocol to help ensure safe conditions for coldwater species during heat spells, with an optimal goal of 68 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit at Lordville, NY.
- Develop a marketing plan that:
- Increases awareness locally, statewide and nationally of the value of this renowned resource.
- Engages the I Love New York program in the promotion of the area.
- Increases awareness of associated recreational activities including fishing, boating, camping, bird watching and hiking.